Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Food and My Body

This is perhaps the most personal entry thus far, but I know that many people reading this will be able to relate. This will also help me in regards to making better food choices. As much as I would like to deny it, over the years I have minimally struggled with my body image. Over the last two or three years I have tried to get a grasp on nutrition and its effects on my overall health and well being. My doctor disapproved of my weight and with his motivation and weight watchers I succeeded in losing nearly 20 pounds. Since the weight loss surge, my weight journey needs constant attention in order to maintain what I believe is an average weight. In the last year I have explored different avenues of nutrition to further my knowledge, help maintain my weight and improve my digestive system (because mine pretty much sucks!). This exploration has left me more confused than when I started. Each meal I constantly question, "Am I supposed to be eating this?"
This brings me to my bike trip. The motivation for writing this particular blog occurred after I jumped on scale recently and realized in one month I have gained 10 pounds. I understand that muscle weighs more than fat, but my pants fit tighter now and I know that my belly did not gain muscle. It seems crazy to me that I can bike for 4 to 10 hours a day and somehow manage to gain fat, but the truth of the matter is I did gain some fat. I have to accept and realize I do not have high metabolism. I did so by thinking to myself, "I am exercising so much, I can eat whatever I want!" This little sentence gets me in trouble! I overindulge, make poor food choices, drink wine and/or beer, and grab the junk food from the cupboards of my hosts who allow me to eat from their pantries. This behavior can be quite addictive! I started my trip strong as the towns in coastal Maine, Vermont and New Hampshire had ample health food stores and quality grocery stores. The further west I have traveled the selection of vegetarian options, gluten free, dairy free, non-fried foods have diminished drastically! I am not trying to make an excuse, but not having healthy options makes for challenging choices.
I have committed to no ice cream (which I should not be eating dairy in the first place) and no alcohol for two weeks to get me back on track.
I suppose that is all I have to say on this topic for now - all I can do is try to make good food choices and resist the temptation to overeat foods high in fat.

1 comment:

  1. Making good food choice is one of the many ways to remain healthy. eating proper diet does not meaning doing away with other foods but control is necessary. Have snacks the way you always do but reduce the intake.

    I am not an expert but that's what I do, control my hunger instincts. a healthy simple vegetarian diet will always be helpful.

    ReplyDelete