Monday, June 8, 2009

Day 57 - Sandpoint, ID to Ione, WA


Miles for the day: 89
Total miles to date: 2920
Cyclists crossed past: 6

I woke up bright and early and took off by 7:00am. I got the variety pack of weather that day starting with some sweet strong tail winds. I cruised the first 40 miles until I saw my first cyclists. We shared some camaraderie and when I left the young couple I found the next couple only 5 miles later.

I stopped on the side of the road and ate lunch with those two gentlemen. We swapped hosts information and we will be staying with the same hosts but in opposite directions. When I left the winds shifted and I now faced some headwinds. Later down the road the headwinds stopped as the rain started coming down. Throughout the 89 miles that day I probably changed my clothes 10 times to adjust to the weather. It was quite the variety pack of weather.

I suppose nothing of significance happened on the ride that day until I reached my destination. I arrived to Clark Fork and the rainy clouds above me did not make camping an appealing option. I stopped into the first motel I saw and ran into two other cyclists, Ned and Kay. They are biking from Anacortes, WA to their home in Vermont. After weighing all of my options in the town I decided to take my parents up on their standing offer for one hotel room on the trip to avoid a cold and wet night. I went to dinner with Ned and Kay for the company because I chose not to eat from the all meat and fried food menu. This of course was not the preferred dining choice for Ned and Kay, but traveling through these small towns as I have mentioned these dives often are the only options. I did enjoy the beer and a dinner salad and they even picked up my bill. When I made it back to the hotel I cooked up a proper vegetarian dinner on my cook stove and crashed hard.

I am not sure how to interpret this but someone told me today, "The shallower the Brook, the louder the babble." Hmmmmm....I will have to ponder that one.

No comments:

Post a Comment