Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Day 52 - Whitefish to Fortine, MT




























Miles biked for the day: 49

Total miles to date: 2635

Ooohhhh - a painful morning. I immediately felt the effects of the excessively fun evening as I rolled out of the futon. I somehow pulled myself together, grabbed a quick shower, packed my things and headed downtown for some morning grub. After chatting it up with some locals I said goodbye to Whitefish and slowly made my way to Fortine.

Another beautiful day in the mountains of Montana with picture perfect skies and outstanding weather. The wind even cooperated with me until the final three miles. I met a woman out on the road rollerblading and we had a nice chat for nearly a mile together. Nothing significant happened all day until I met my outstanding couchsurfing hosts!

Greg and Linda live on 40 acres and have two straw bale houses built by their very own hands. They are completely off the grid with their solar panels and they do not have running water. You might think these two could be social recluses with that introduction, but they are far from that! They have traveled all over the world and live frugally and simply in order to make travel possible. They built their second straw bale home in order to create a space for Greg and other musicians to perform since this particular area of Montana lacks performance venues. Their home will 2nd as a creative venue for artists. Their original home built in 1994 will serve as a recording studio and a guest house for traveling music groups. I took a bath in their wood burning hot tub and then they cooked me a fantastic Asian style dinner. Greg even made a homemade chocolate crepe!
We had a lovely chat that evening and then I turned in to my very own straw bale house.

No comments:

Post a Comment