Monday, June 8, 2009

Day 56 - Clark Fork to Sandpoint, ID


Total miles for the day: 28
Total miles to date: 2831

I woke up and made some oatmeal and leisurely departed for Sandpoint. People have told me along the way that Sandpoint is a bike friendly town and when I arrived I learned that it was the first day of a bicycle festival.

I arrived to Sandpoint by 11:30 and landed at the local bike shop for a tune up before I hit the mountain passes of Washington. I called my couchsurfing host, Dave, to get directions and when I told him my I was at the bike shop he said, "Look out the window, my office is across the street." I walked over to meet Dave and he gave me directions to his house.

After hanging out with the dudes at the bike shop I made my way to the library to catch up on some Internet action. I biked to Michael (the wife of Dave) and Dave's house while they were still at work and showered, took care of much needed laundry and even took a nap because I was exhausted!

Michael and Dave came home from work and after talking in their yard for nearly an hour of chatting we made our way to downtown Sandpoint. When we arrived to the local brewery their friends' Meghan and James who are also on couch surfing joined us. We chose a great night to eat out because one of the local bands performed some wonderful jazz.

When I met Michael she gave me a huge hug! I knew this girl was my kind of people. We had an instant connection and had so much fun talking all night. Michael and I are definitely kindred spirits and I very much we lived in the same place. In the afternoon I got tickets to a free bike film to kick off the bike festival, but I had no interest in seeing the film after I realized how much Michael and Dave were. I must say I fell in love with the town of Sandpoint - lots of great vibes, very outdoorsy and healthy conscience people, mountain biking, winter sports of all sorts and even a beautiful lake!

No comments:

Post a Comment